Monday, January 9, 2012

Gearing up

Two classes up and running for a week; two more starting today; two more starting next week. This is going to be one of those barely survivable semesters. Can't help but wonder why we take on more than can reasonably be handled from time to time. I know this time it was fear, fear of not having a class next semester, that caused me to accept an overload.

This is both an energizing and paralyzing time in any semester. I've spent weeks trying to revise courses and prep other courses so they will be relevant and timely. Now I will spend many hours just dealing with all the technical difficulties that happen in the first few weeks of any online class. It's surprising to me how many students don't really know how to use the technologies so essential to their success. It's frustrating that I must do most of the technical trouble-shooting because that takes away from time I could be concentrating on teaching or prepping or even grading.

Oh, well... This is the career I've chosen, and fortunately, there are always a number of delightful students in every class.

No comments:

Post a Comment