Thursday, July 29, 2010

Data Liberation

The amount of personal data collected and stored can be staggering, and I'll admit to a modicum of conflicted paranoia about the whole issue. After all, I LOVE the tools Google makes available, and the only price (so far) is that Google be allowed to know every last detail of who I am and what I do with each tool so it can tailor a marketing strategy that meets my needs to a T.

Did you know Google has a "data liberation" site? http://www.dataliberation.org/ There's a list of Google products and how you can "liberate your data" from each. Hmmm... Why isn't WAVE on the list?

I was intrigued by the number of Google products I CHOOSE to use: Gmail, iGoogle, Contacts, Calendar, Blogger, Health, Maps, Picasa, Reader, Voice, YouTube, Docs, Sites, Web History, Bookmarks. And today I offered myself as a willing guinea pig for new products.

Long live Google... but hooray for the chance to get ME out of their storage should I choose to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment